Activity 4: Friends and Enemies
Year Level: Years 6/7 – 8/9
Description: This sequence of learning experiences draws upon Mortified, Episode 17: School Trivia Night and Lockie Leonard, Episode 3: Lockie Chickens Out, and focuses on the importance and value of friendship and how friends need to be loyal, honest and supportive. It also explores possible reasons behind bullying.
In Mortified, Taylor offers to team her family with Leon's family for trivia night because she has a crush on Leon, who also knows what it's like to have embarrassing parents. Taylor's choice of team upsets her best friend, Hector.
In Lockie Leonard, Lockie hands over Egg to Boof and his mates in order to save himself from being physically bullied then feels guilty about it. He finds a way to apologise to Egg and save their friendship.
Curriculum Study Areas: English, The Arts (Media), SOSE, Health and Physical Education, Personal and Social Capability
Topics/Themes: Gender perspectives, relationships with friends, family relationships, bullying, self-awareness, film language and techniques, comedy genre, growth and development
- Explore and analyse the theme of bullying from a gender perspective.
- Examine the concept of friendship and evaluate the qualities and values of friendship between Taylor and Hector and Lockie and Egg.
- Analyse and interpret scene production/direction applying film language and film making techniques.
- Identify and deconstruct narrative structures of TV episodes.
- Identify and analyse the conventions of comedy genre.
- Rewrite/Create a scene in order to change its mood and emphasis.
- Analyse film sequence and construct a storyboard.
Teaching and Learning Activities: Each strand contains activities organised in two main components:
- the 'discussing' component: students will use individual and group talk to come to understandings about the issues and characters and to explore the significance of those understandings (e.g. for their own lives).
- the 'doing' component: students will use their understandings and explorations in order to do something – for example, perform or tell a story, create a product, transform some aspect of the series.