Activity 13: Creating
Year Level: Years 6/7 – 8/9
Description: This activity focuses on students creating articles, images and objects as a result of viewing Lockie Leonard – Series 1. It looks at an industry of other productions through marketing and communication that could complement the series. Students need to be very familiar with the series and books for this exercise.
Curriculum Study Areas: English, The Arts (Media), SOSE, Health and Physical Education, Personal and Social Capability
Personal and social capability:
English and Media studies:
asking for help
coping with challenges
identity and individuality
appropriate and effective communication
signs, codes and conventions
- Provide students with the opportunity to use the Lockie Leonard TV series as a springboard for their own media making.
- Explore and create different written and production genres.
- Research and develop online options for creative responses.
- Analyse and evaluate marketing and communications strategies.
Teaching and Learning Activities: Each strand contains activities organised in two main components:
- the 'discussing' component: students will use individual and group talk to come to understandings about the issues and characters and to explore the significance of those understandings (e.g. for their own lives).
- the 'doing' component: students will use their understandings and explorations in order to do something – for example, perform or tell a story, create a product, transform some aspect of the series.