Activity 3: Getting Technical
Year Level: Years 6/7 – 8/9
Description: The activities in this section examine how Lockie Leonard – Series 1 uses a number of media techniques to encourage viewers to think in particular ways about the issues, the events and characters that it explores. In this section, we will focus on the use of these techniques:
- a) Narration
- b) Use of contrast
- c) Use of multiple genres and fantasy segments
- d) Soundtrack
Curriculum Study Areas: English, The Arts (Media), SOSE, Health and Physical Education, Personal and Social Capability
Personal and social capability:
English and Media studies:
asking for help
coping with challenges
identity and individuality
appropriate and effective communication
signs, codes and conventions
- Understand and evaluate how visual language and techniques are used to create characters.
- Analyse and respond to characters and events within the narrative.
- Explore the concept of adaptation from text to screen.
- Understand the importance of a masculine perspective within this narrative.
- Evaluating the importance of sound to convey meaning.
Teaching and Learning Activities: Each strand contains activities organised in two main components:
- the 'discussing' component: students will use individual and group talk to come to understandings about the issues and characters and to explore the significance of those understandings (e.g. for their own lives).
- the 'doing' component: students will use their understandings and explorations in order to do something – for example, perform or tell a story, create a product, transform some aspect of the series.
( 13th Birthday )