Activity 2: Telling Stories
Year Level: Years 6/7 – 8/9
Description: The activities in this section introduce the narrative by looking at the story structure and by analysing the strength of what is stated. The audience becomes aware of the multiple stories of individual characters within the main narrative.
Curriculum Study Areas: English, The Arts (Media), SOSE, Health and Physical Education, Personal and Social Capability
Personal and social capability:
English and Media studies:
asking for help
coping with challenges
identity and individuality
appropriate and effective communication
signs, codes and conventions
- Understand and evaluate the story and episode structure.
- Explore and analyse the structure, purpose and meaning of the monologue.
- Recognise and adapt the Quest story structure.
Teaching and Learning Activities: Each strand contains activities organised in two main components:
- the 'discussing' component: students will use individual and group talk to come to understandings about the issues and characters and to explore the significance of those understandings (e.g. for their own lives).
- the 'doing' component: students will use their understandings and explorations in order to do something – for example, perform or tell a story, create a product, transform some aspect of the series.